Sunday, May 06, 2007

Life-denying

Some days reading the news makes me very cross indeed. Today was one of those days.

Fresh from reading about the mighty Saints push for promotion, I stumbled on this. Apparently, children no longer need space to play in at school. In fact, play is merely a distraction from learning.
The head of the newest and most expensive school in Peterborough told BBC News:

"This is a massive investment of public money and I think what the public want is maximum learning. They recognise that youngsters can play in their own time, play in their local communities. What I want from my teachers is maximum teaching and I want maximum learning from the youngsters."

What on earth is wrong with these people? Seriously!

"Maximum teaching." "Maximum learning."

The logic seems to be that we invested money in these kids, and we'd better get a quantifiable outcome from each and every one. What about learning to be people? What about learning that life isn't just about hitting the next target?

But of course for our current government, that is what life is all about. I think I will have to forebear any sort of procreation until the Tories are safely back in control.

Incidentally, I think this links to my previous post. Wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment