Monday, May 26, 2008

Humility and boldness

Humility in theology means approaching the Scripture to find Christ there, and then following him wherever he goes. It means following the Biblical witness to Christ in whatever direction it takes me, putting aside my preconceptions about God, about humanity, about logic, about the unvierse. If Christ, leading me by the Scriptures, takes me to places that contain apparent contradictions, or places that seem to make no sense to me, or places that I just wish I did not have to go, I must follow him nevertheless. I am not at liberty to exercise my own judgement on such things, neither am I free to follow the judgement of others. I am bound to the Word of God.

Boldness in theology means that I must report to the church and the world whatever I find in the Scriptures, without fear of censure or disbelief or mockery. I cannot seek to preserve my own reputation, not even my reputation for orthodoxy. I cannot keep quiet where Christ bids me speak. I cannot hide what he bids me show. I am not at liberty to exercise my own judgement on such things, neither am I free to follow the judgement of others. I am bound to the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment